How Do You Make Decisions?
To make a decision, you: flip a coin, consult an Ouija board, or consult ungodly people? It has been said that we make 35,000 decisions each day. Most of these decisions are minor but decisions none the less. Many, an estimated 225 decisions, are based upon food. Interesting to consider that even by not making a decision you are making a decision. But the top number one decision is whether or not to worship God. Will you keep Jesus at the center of it all?
Joaquin Molina has spoken at the CKI conference and is counted as a friend of the ministry. He preached a sermon at Spring of Life Church, titled Top 10 Life Decisions. Listed below are the notes I took as I listened to this sermon.
- Worship God. Put God at the center of it all. You must then accept His Son. The Word of God says that if you refuse to worship God, it is a sin. You must love and desire a relationship with our Lord more than with your spouse. When He is first in your life your spouse will love being number two. That is a welcome place to be.
- Make the Bible the roadmap for your life. Remember His Word is a lamp unto your feet and a light to your path. It is the only Truth that has not been tarnished by this world. We should love what God loves and hate what He hates. His Word is truth whether you believe it or not. In Jeremiah 10:23 (MSG) “I know, God, that mere mortals can’t run their own lives, That men and women don’t have what it takes to take charge of life. So correct us, God, as you see best. Don’t lose your temper. That would be the end of us.” In the end everyone who has ever been born will know and understand this truth. Everyone’s knee will bow to Him and His Word.
- Partner with the Holy Spirit. Welcome Him into your life. He will remind you that you are a son or daughter of God. Let Him lead you and convict you of sin, remind you of righteousness through Him and of coming judgement. Remember it is the goodness of the Lord that will cause people to repent. His love for you is greater than anything any demon can conjure up against you. Know who you are in Christ. Rely upon the Holy Spirit to guide every decision you make in life. His plan for your life is for good and not for evil. Come into agreement with the Holy Spirit. (Psalm 119:105)
- Deny yourself. Pick up your cross and follow Jesus. Don’t be selfish. Wherever there is self-seeking there is confusion and every evil thing. Dying to “self” is not what the world recommends. Doing life your way will lead to destruction. In God’s economy you do not possess any “rights.” Remember that dead men (which is what you are without new life in Christ) have no rights. I like how Philippians 1:21 (MSG) states it, “They didn’t shut me up; they gave me a pulpit! Alive, I’m Christ’s messenger; dead, I’m his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can’t lose.” Wow, we can’t lose!
- Keep Godly company. Who you partner with will determine your destiny. He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed. (Psalm 119:63) I am a companion of all who fear God. Jesus joins a union of you and all those who seek Him. Your momma was right when she admonished you because she was simply speaking God’s Word into your life. It’s important who your friends are. Hang with wise people and you will be wise; hang with fools and you will be destroyed.
- Honor your family. It is the formula for prosperity. (Psalm 68:6) The family is the unit that God created to be His divine community upon the earth. A family determines the blessing of the Lord. It is the one unit that precedes your community and the church. Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.” (Deuteronomy 5:16 EDV) “Whoever curses his father or his mother, His lamp [of life] will be extinguished in time of darkness.” (Proverbs 20:20 AMP) This is a commandment, not a suggestion and it comes with a promise of long life. Plus, it is not dependent upon your parents being godly. Just do it because you love the Lord and you know that He has a good plan for your life if you will just obey. (Ephesians 3:14-15 NASB) “For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,” If you want to receive the inheritance of God, you must be part of His family. From Him the whole family of heaven and earth is named. Confusion and chaos come from living outside of family. “He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers [a reconciliation produced by repentance], so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse [of complete destruction].” (Malachi 4:6 AMP)
- Educate yourself and work. “For even while we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is [b]not to eat, ” (2 Thessalonians 3:10 AMP) “In all labor there is profit but idle chatter leads to poverty.” (Proverbs 14:23) Everything you sow you reap. God will bless the work of your hands. Did you catch that phrase? “In all labor there is profit.” ALL – no matter what work you are doing, there is profit in it according to the Word. You might be the president of a large bank, a ditch digger or a stay at home mom, but the Word proclaims that if you work you will profit.
- Marriage. Join the covenant of marriage and love each other just as God loves you. Even though most of us didn’t understand the covenant of marriage when we got married, God does not allow us to use our ignorance of His Word as an excuse for sin. Marriage was God’s first family institution. It was not established by government and therefore cannot be abolished by the government. The Word clearly tells us to “let not man put asunder” our covenant. Marriage is the institution that He chose as the earthly example of the spiritual covenant that we have with Him if He is our Father. His love for us is greater than any curse a demon can possible place on us. We are to love our spouse with this kind of love. When we do this the Word says people will be saved!
- Stewardship of finances and money. Always make wise decisions led by God. Open your hand wide to the poor and the needy. God loves the joyful giver. Those who help and refresh others will be helped and refreshed by God. Be generous and abundant with what God has put into your hands. “Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed; as it is written, ‘He scattered abroad, he gave to the poor, His righteousness [g]endures forever.’ Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness;” (2 Corinthians 9:6-10 NASB)
- Walk in obedience; be a person under authority. Be obedient to authorities. Honor and obey God’s orders and all blessings will come over you. If you do not obey the voice of the Lord curses will come upon you. “Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.” (Romans 13:1 NASB)
Wow! This is quite a list that could apply to anyone. Maybe it’s time to do a little personal inventory. How do these points apply to you as a covenant keeper?